Integrated Management Systems
An integrated management system (IMS) combines all related components of a business into one system for easier management and operations. Quality (QMS), Environmental (EMS), and Safety (OHS) management systems are often combined and managed as an IMS. These are not separate systems joined together, rather they are integrated with linkages so that similar processes are seamlessly managed and executed without duplication. IMS components common to all the systems include the resources (people, facilities & equipment, etc.) and processes (documented in the QMS/EMS/OHS and applied throughout the organization).
Benefits of IMS:
• Meeting all standards’ requirements with one set of policies and procedures.
• Increased efficiency and effectiveness.
• Reductions in costs associated with audits.
• Displays commitment to continuous improvement for the organisation as a whole.
• Presents a clear uniform image of the whole organisation.
• Reduces duplication, bureaucracy and maximizes resources.
• Increases time available to management to implement proactive measures.
• Improves internal and external communications